Best Beaches in Zante
Where to start here as Zante has some truly great beaches and some real hidden gems that many never get to see. Here we list our top five beaches on the island, there are many more but these are our favourites.
1. Banna Beach - found on the southern peninsular where many of choices are, easy to get to by car about 25 mins drive from Zante Town, this is a fabulous stretch of golden sands, the sea is shallow so great for kids. Loads of sunbeds, reasonably priced for the day, they also have cabanas if you really need to sleep off a hangover. There are a couple of great tavernas overlooking the beach, watersports, an inflatable kids waterpark and plenty of parking.
2. Dafni Beach - again travelling in the same direction down the south coast but you have to look out for the signpost on the right hand side of the road. this takes you up and over the other side, brilliant views en route of both sides of the island. The road is a bit of a track but worth the drive. Many of the tavernas offer free sunbeds if you use their facilities (our favourite is Andonis taverna for great fresh fish) The beach is a mix of golden sand with some pebbles. You will also see lots of wooden frames protecting the nesting turtle eggs as it is a turtle sanctuary. The highlight is the crystal clear water which just wants to make you dive in immediatley. Great for people of all ages and families. Hang around for the sunset which is truly spectacular.
3. Kalimaki Beach - not surprisingly found in the resort of Kalimaki - miles of golden sand, cyrstal waters. Plenty of sunbeds but no tavernas although there is a shack selling cold refreshments. Also no watersports here as it is also a turtle sanctury area. Easy to get to from Laganas, Argassi and Zante town only 10 mins drive from each.
4. St Nicholas Beach - Another great beach on the southern coast - keep driving past Banana beach for another 1KM and you will see the sign post on the left side. This is also the watersports capital on the island with almost every conceivabel type of watersports you can imagine - para-sailing, waterskiing, banana, ringos and other inflatable high octane rides as well as scuba diving. There is a great taverna here offerring all sorts of snacks and meals overlooking the beach. The guys that operate this beach also offer a free bus service from many resorts.
5. Gerakas Beach - this beach is about as far south as you can get - just keep driving and you will eventually stumble upon it. You have to park up and walk the final 400m to the beach but its worth it. A great family beach but you do need to take provisions with you as again its a turtle sanctuary so no tavernas on the beach but there will be locals selling cold stuff up and down the beach. You will also tavernas where you park your car. There is a turtle centre in the resort which is really worth spending 30 mins looking around.
If anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free to comment - this is our opinion.